(Original post concept I know)
Ugh 22. This is how I actually felt on the day of my 22nd birthday. BUT with my emotional ‘WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY LIFE’ break down over, there is actually a lot that I’ve mastered over the years
1. Painting your nails makes the world seem a brighter place
2. It is perfectly acceptable to act like a kid every now and again. Embrace your inner child! Go as high as you can on the swings! Have sweets for breakfast, cake for lunch and ice-cream for dinner! Spend all day in your pjs on the xbox. And don’t let anyone make you feel bad about it. It’s not a waste if you have fun!
3. WINE. My best wine advice (which actually came from my best friend’s mum): Choose the bottle that is £4 but has been reduced/is on the half price offer. You’re paying the same amount as the cheapest bottle in there but you won’t be drinking paint stripper!
4. When you are crying for no reason and don’t want to tell anybody you’re sad because you have no idea why you’re sad. Just let yourself to be sad. That might not be the healthiest advice out there but I always find people telling you to cheer up does absolutely nothing to help – if anything can make you feel worse. Grab a movie, grab your I-pod, grab your most understanding friend that will sit there and cry with you, grab the aforementioned bottle of wine, grab Ben and grab Jerry, and just let yourself be sad!
(If how you’re feeling is affecting your work, relationships or life in general – do not take the above advice. Seek help with someone, be that professional or through friends and family)
5. Dance like a crazy person. In private. In public. In the supermarket. (It’s even more fun if you can rope your friends in to doing the robot or attempting the moonwalk)
6. Don’t be that person who is texting/tweeting/talking on the phone when you arrive at the counter in a shop. Put the phone in your pocket and say “hello” – it’s common decency people!
7. Put clean sheets on your bed before a night out – it makes the hangover the next day 85% more manageable.
8. People are selective about what they put on social media. Do not compare yourself or your life to those that you see on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Tumblr.
9. You will be held accountable for your actions so make sure you’re acting on your own behalf.
10. Don’t put off the doctor or the dentist. Yo’ body is yo’ temple!
11. Lipstick = always
12. Baking makes everything better. It makes your house smell divine and you’re left with tasty treats after it all!
13. Always carry plasters in your purse. If it’s not you that falls in to blister hell, you can be the saviour to some other poor soul crippled by breaking in their new shoes.
14. Some people are not meant to be in your life forever. If you don’t want them in your life and they don’t want to be there, it’s better for everyone if you allow that bridge to burn!
15. Then again some people are in your life forever whether you like it or not. Grit your teeth, smile and get on with it because making things difficult for all parties involved isn’t going to make anyone happy.
16. Leggings are see through. They are, don’t argue. Accept it and dress accordingly if you don’t want the people behind you in the queue seeing your arse cheeks and frilly knickers.
17. With fake tan less is more.
18. Always take your make up off before bed. – you may think it goes without saying but we’ve all been there.
19. Family is important. What ever that means to you. Biological. Nuclear. Extended. You’re best friend’s family that has adopted you because you are never not at their house in a onesie eating the entire contents of their fridge… WE ALL DO IT.
20. Be kind. It never ceases to amaze and upset me how much hate there is in the world. Racism, homophobia, misogyny – turn on the news and you will see another tear inducing event will have happened. Let people live their lives! For heaven’s sake, you have no right to say how people should live, or to even comment on it! Just… be happy and let others be happy. (Rant over.)
21. Yes, always be kind but be honest and fair too, to yourself especially. If someone isn’t treating you right, stand up for yourself. Killing with kindness only goes so far. Report it. Say your piece. Enlighten the cruel or small minded idiot. Surround yourself with good people and carry on with your life. (Refer to no.14)
22. No matter how much you don’t want to turn that year older on your birthday, YOU ARE GOING TO BE ONE YEAR OLDER! So bloody enjoy it, it is a day all about you after all!